Sunday, February 1, 2009

Yo hablo espanol!

Hola mi familia y amigos!

I am preparing to start my thrid week of classes here tomorrow. As my Mexican mama Tere predicted, I would be speaking quite a bit after my second week. I am able to understand Mama, Candy our maid and some of what Papa says (he sort of mumbles and speaks really quickly). We laugh about it at the dinner table. The rest of the family has been impressed with my speaking skills, and I try my best to speak as much as I can around them.

I've become friends with the grandson of the family that I'm living with. His name is Andrick and he's a senior in high school here in Cuernavaca. I went over to his home the other night to watch the Mexico vs. Sweden futbol game and listen to some awesome latin music. I've downloaded some music from iTunes so I can start listening to music with Spanish lyrics -- its actually really helpful because I am picking up a lot of words! The artists that I've downloaded are Mana (the latin american version of U2 in terms of popularity), Gian Marco, Alejandro Sanz, Ricardo Arjona, Luis Miguel, and Winsin & Yandel. It's all fantastic!

Classes are going well but getting progessivly harder as the weeks go on. I'm going to have to really start studying this week. It's hard for me to have motivation to study for the written exams because I am not recieving credit for my work in these classes - so theoretically it doesn't matter how I perform on the exams. I am more interested in learning how to speak and I know that learning the grammer is important in learning how to speak correctly, but I really get more out of my culture and conversation classes than I do the 3 hour grammer class in the mornings. Also, there isn't a whole lot of homework. I have never been one to be a self-motivator with my studies, so that is also a challenge. I have decided that I am going to ask my professors to give me some extra work to do outside of class so I am forced to study! haha I'm also finding myself burning out on speaking spanish. It's hard because right now I have to think so much in order to say the simplist things. I know it will get easier, but I've been struggling a little bit with speaking as much as I should. I feel like my head is exploding sometimes with all of the new things I am learning and being forced to use day in and day out.

I have met some really wonderful girlfriends while I've been over here, which has been such a blessing. I have posted a picture of us out at a nightclub called Borakai. It is incredibly classy -- and outdoor setting with white couches and black tables with a live band. I am really falling in love with the city; the culture, nightlife, and the people.

I am planning on going on more excursions around Mexico soon. The school takes us to some awesome places, so once I go I will be sure to post pictures and let everyone know how they are. I'm looking forward to learning more about the history of Mexico and getting a better understanding of the culture.

Today is Super Bowl Sunday, and my friend Steven and I are going to try and find a place to watch it here in Cuernavaca. I'm rooting for the Cardinals!

Love to everyone.

2 comments:

Ashley Hasty said...

I remember my month in Italy, I was the same way. I was mostly ready to come home so I could just ask for something and get it rather than trying to think of all the words I know that could describe what I want and, as a last resort, drawing what I want.

EES said...

Haha!! Yeah I haven't had to result to drawing pictures yet. It is so frustrating, but its nice to have friends who know a lot more Spanish than me. Usually between the group of us we can figure out enough to get by...