Saturday, February 14, 2009

CANAINTEX Meeting, U.S. Futbol & A Job Offer

On Tuesday of this week I went to Mexico City for a meeting early Wednesday morning with the Director of Foreign Commerce in the Mexican National Chamber of the Textile Industry known as CANAINTEX. This meeting was a part of the research grant that I am a part of, and the meeting was set up by our partners at Cotton Inc. Unfortunately no one from their office could accompany me, so I was able to bring along a friend, Carla, from school -- which was wonderful! In the meeting we talked about the North American Free Trade Agreement, and its impact on the importing of U.S. cotton in Mexico and the textile industry as a whole. I have 44 minutes of video footage that I'm sending to the States now, but also trying to do a little bit of translating. As I walked in the director started speaking in spanish so I told him "Yo entiendo poco espanol" and he said "Yo entiendo poco ingles!" YIKES! Haha. We worked it out and another person came in to help do a bit of translating. He was quite impressed with my Spanish speaking skills, however. I have proof -- its on the tape!

After the meeting Carla and I headed back to our home sweet home Cuernavaca to watch the U.S. vs. Mexico futbol (soccer) game! It was AMAZING condsidering we went to watch the game with 2 Mexican friends from school, and we were literally the only people at the bar cheering for the States. Another hilarious event that happened -- at the bar we were in there was a Corona promotion girl, handing out coozies, those big balloon type things that you smack together to make noise, blow horns, etc. Her boss was there and she came over to me halfway through the game and offered to hire me on as a Corona girl for pretty decent pay. I seriously thought about it for a while, but politely declined considering I would have to work every weekend and I only have a month left! My first Mexican job offer -- haha! In any case, I'm really starting to enjoy watching soccer! I think its impossible not to when you are living anywhere other than in the U.S. The States kicked butt for two reasons: 1. the Mexico team really sucks this year and 2. They played in OHIO! When they first started showing pre-game footage it was a horrible rain storm with winds blowing rediculously strong. Mexicans don't know how to handle crazy cold like that! haha I told my Dad in an e-mail earlier this week that watching U.S. sporting events in Mexico has never made me more proud to be an American. When we watched the Super Bowl and they played the national anthem it was all I could do but hold back the tears from my eyes and restrain the goosebumps all over my skin! It was the same when they played the national anthem for the futbol game.

The rest of this week went by rather quickly. I am learning preterit and imperfect right now in my grammer class and it is pretty difficult. I am feeling more positive about my classes this week, however am really just enjoying speaking with my Mexican friends in Spanish more than going to class.

Judy and Jim got in last night! I wasn't here to see them however I think we are all going to have breakfast together this morning. I am really looking forward to seeing them and meeting the other lady (the director of OSHER I think) that is living in my house. I'm really looking forward to the next 2 weeks! Next Wednesday Mom and Ed are coming down for 5 days, and on the 27th my friend Sam is coming for the weekend! It's going to be SO incredible to have friends and family share this awesome place with me. I have fallen in love with Mexico and even though I have some great things waiting for me back at home I am really going to miss living here. I have hit the halfway point so its all downhill from here!

Today is Valentines Day and I'm sort of sad that I'm not at home. Last night, though, I was out with my friend Carla and two of the guys that came in her group from SUNY Brockport on NY and one of the guys bought roses for Carla and I! It was so sweet and made me really happy. I bought Valentines Day presents for all of my family -- my parents, Candy, Pon Chin, Ratton & Yvonne and Andrick. I'm going to give them to everyone this morning! :o) All of Ratton's family is coming today and there are going to be like 40 people at our house and in our garden. I'm looking forward to meeting a ton of people, having some great food, and perhaps a few refreshing beverages. I was told last night that I have to wear red or white -- I have a red shirt, but I think I may go to the mall this morning and see if I can find a cute red dress to wear.

Love to everyone!

2 comments:

Ashley Hasty said...

I love your stories. Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Luttrell said...

yes futbol! we're going to a game in munich in the next few weekends. i hear they're so crazy! just a bunch of drunk people screaming and fighting when their team loses :)

and duh, you should have taken that corona girl job! that sounds amazing - hooters anyone? haha

you amaze me emily stoll...

and yes, i KNOW that your spanish is wonderful - i just can't wait to hear it in person!

besos, jeff