Friday, February 27, 2009

Tepozlan Carnival

I forgot to mention in my last post the carnival that I went to on Tuesday of this week in a town that is about 15 minutes away from Cuernavaca called Tepozlan. There are huge carnivals that take place all around Mexico during this time (well...actually right before Lent begins -- which was this Wendesday -- so all of the festivals and carnivals end the day before Lent begins).

I am posting some pictures from it becaus it was such a wonderful experience! The great big drink my hand is a liter of Corona with lemon juice and the rim is covered in a sweet chili poweder. It's called a michelada.

The streets are lined with vendors selling literally anything you can think of -- belts to hats to pizza and even q-tips. It was insane!

The costumes that people dress up in are specific to Tepozlan and are worn every year during these carnivals. I went to this event with 4 of my Mexican friends from school and we went and joined the whole group of natives dancing in the town square! Certianly an amazing night!

No comments: