Monday, January 12, 2009

Preparing to Depart!

I leave for Mexico on Wednesday of this week! I cannot believe how quickly time has passed and that this beautiful journey is ready to begin! I have been so blessed to see my family and friends the past few days, and have found it difficult to say goodbye. I suppose I should get used to this, as the next 2 days are just going to be more of the same.

I haven't started packing yet, but have made a few fairly extensive lists as to what I need to bring with me. My favorite item on the list...sunscreen! Haha. This 30 degree Missouri weather with frigid nights is something that I am not going to miss.

Here is the rundown for my first few days in Mexico. I will do my best to check-in with a few people once I safely arrive, but it will be a few days before I will have regular internet access and the ability to Skype, check/send e-mails, etc.

Wednesday 1/14: Depart St. Louis International Airport around 12:30p.m., head to Dallas, then onto a flight that heads into Mexico City -- we should arrive around 8:30p.m. (Mexico is in the same timezone as Missouri!!)

Thursday 1/15: Dr. Ha-Brookshire and I will be meeting with our representative from Cotton Inc. at their Latin American headquarters in Mexico City at 9:00a.m . Our meeting is scheduled from 9:00a.m.-11:30a.m., then I believe Dr. HB and I will be doing a bit of traveling around Mexico City with the help of someone at Cotton Inc. Around 3:00p.m. we will depart via bus to Cuernavaca. We are staying at a beautiful hotel (I will be sure to take pictures).

Friday 1/16: A friend of Judy Elliott is going to be showing us around the city of Cuernavaca during the day on Friday. We will be going to some cultural spots, and hopefully a few shopping centers so Dr.HB can get an idea of the market I'm going to have access to (I will eventually end up interviewing some local Mexicans about their consumption of cotton products). After our tour I will return to my home where I will be staying for the next 8 weeks. Their names are Alfonso and Tere Payen - an older couple (I think in their 70's). I'm really looking forward to meeting them and seeing my 'digs'.

Saturday 1/17: I have to take an entrance exam at the Universidad International to place me into the proper classes for my first week. I should tell them just to put me in the lowest level! haha After that I think I will be able to spend time with my family and explore Cuernavaca a bit. By this time I should be starting to get settled in!

Well, that's the scoop! I will be sure to post more as I can and do my best at responding to e-mails. If you'd like to get in touch with me, below are the best options. I have toyed with getting an international phone while I'm in Mexico (supposedly their quite cheap) but for now we will bank on me only being able to call out!

E-mail: emilyestoll@gmail.com
Skype: emily.stoll
AIM: eesxb6

Love to all of you! Next time I post hopefully I will be safely in Mexico and ready for this amazing journey!

1 comment:

Ashley Hasty said...

Emily,
I'm so excited for you! I'm bummed we didn't get together before you had to leave. If you aren't crazy busy the next couple of days we should try to get coffee or a glass of wine sometime. I'm in class until 4 but after that I'm totally free. Have a wonderful time in Mexico, and I'll be emailing you and posting so we can keep in touch! I'll miss you! BTW: When you get back...it is off to NYC!