Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mexico City Excursion & School

I am starting to really enjoy my time here in Mexico!

My family is amazing, and I love spending time with my Mama and Papa. They are so patient and kind with my lack of Spanish -- but starting tomorrow there is no more English in the house! This is probably a good thing, and I know Mama will be patient with me and help me understand even if I have to ask her to repeat something 100 times. She gave me a list of vocabulary words that I have started to memorize. Tomorrow I begin school at my University and I couldn't be more ready to sit down and start learning this language so I can communicate!

Today I decided to go on my frist school excursion by myself -- I didn't know anyone else who was going on the trip but decided it was something I shouldn't miss...and boy was I right! We went to Mexico City and visited 4 awesome places. The Metropolitan Cathedral, which is second most important cathedral in America (second of course to the Bascillica); Palacio Nacional, which is the national Palace that houses the murals of Diego Rivera; Templo Mayor, which is the main temple of the Aztec town Tenochtitlan which is now Mexico City; and the Anthropology Museum which was simply unbelieveable. I took almost 100 pictures just today and can't wait to share them all. The group of students that went were all very friendly and I made some new friends. Most of them are much better at speaking Spanish than me, so I probably won't be in any classes with them.

Tonight when I got home (around 6p.m.), all of the extended family was over at my house. They had grilled out for dinner so one of my parents sons fired up the grill and made me a hamburger. After talking to everyone in rediculously broken Spanish, I stayed outside with their grandson for about an hour talking about school, life, and Mexico. He is a senior in high school and speaks great English. He said he would show me around Cuernavaca and I think we may start going to exercise together at the gym that is right down the street. Oh I guess I should mention -- where I live there are 3 houses on the property. #1: Mama, Papa, and myself #2: Son + grandson #3: Daughter + Husband.

I must be off to bed to get a good nights rest for my frist day of school tomorrow! Soon enough I will start posting in Spanish!

1 comment:

Ashley Hasty said...

Your pictures are fantastic and the excursion sounds like a blast! I love reading your updates!